It is an obvious concept that you need to consume fewer calories than you currently are in order to lose weight.
However, this is often easier said than done. The thought of eating in smaller portions may make you baulk disapprovingly.
Experts often recommend the 1200 calorie plan for those who wish to step onto the road of weight since it does successfully help a person lose weight.
The way this works is that a person normally needs 1600 to 2400 calories on average to maintain a healthy weight. Compared to that, 1200 calories is a significantly low amount of nutrition for someone consume. Basically, it is the lowest that you can go with your calories without compromising your muscle mass and put your healthy nutritional status in a peril.
One thing you need to keep in mind that you do not skip on any meals since it can lead to feelings of severe hunger as you reach your next meal and you might cross the 1200 calorie limit.
You can divide your plan to consuming 2 150 calorie snacks and then 3 300 calorie meals. The two snack a day plan would fit you if you have been notorious for consuming a lot more calories than this diet recommends. If you are not fond of snacking then you go about consuming 400 calories each meal, or you can adjust your meal calories according to what time of the day you feel the least and most hungry. For example, some people do not feel as famished during breakfast as they do during lunchtime. So you can eat a little less during breakfast and include the calories carrying forward from breakfast into your lunch.
Each meal of yours should have 1 – 3 ounces of whole grains, 1-3 ounces of protein, and a cup of vegetables. The proteins are the core of this diet. They will help your body stay healthy internally without letting it react violently to the sudden change of the calories intake. It keeps the blood sugar stable (which causes cravings) and it helps maintain your muscle mass which heavily contributes to your metabolic rate.
Let us look at the options that you can take advantage of in your 1200 calorie plan:
- Greek yoghurt with blueberries and honey
- ¾ cup of bran flakes, one banana, and 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup frozen berries blended with ½ banana alongside ½ English muffin with 1 tsp margarine
- A salad made up of lettuce, cucumbers, radishes, sprouts, bell peppers, carrots, and baby spinach, topped with grilled chicken and a dressing of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Sandwich of 1 mini pita (whole wheat), 3 ounces turkey, ½ roasted pepper, 1 tsp light mayonnaise, mustard, lettuce, alongside 1 stick half-skimmed mozzarella string.
- 1 vegetable soup, a veggie burger made with mini whole wheat pita bread filled with lettuce and salsa along with 6 ounces light yoghurt and handful of grapes.
- 2 ounces of grilled salmon, small/half sweet potato, 1 cup of steamed vegetables, 1 cup of skim milk
- ¾ cup of whole wheat pasta with marinara sauce, 2 ounces of lean ground beef, with a large salad made up of leafy green vegetables topped with a dressing made of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- 4 ounces grilled skinless and boneless chicken breast brushed with barbecue sauce, served with ½ cup baked beans and 3 small boiled red potatoes.