The perennial source of healthcare, the folk medicine Korean Red Ginseng has host of health benefits.
With the advancement of time and epoch, the field of medicine has been flooded with new inventions. Much has been contributed to the health and wellbeing of mankind. The medicinal properties of ancient roots and herbs were always especially valued. In this context, the first herb that comes to our mind is Ginseng. Ginseng has been used extensively in Asia and America over centuries now. Etymologically, it means “all heal” in Greek when the botanical name Panax is considered. A lot of studies on the medicinal potentialities of ginseng are still going on, and some of the most important properties of this herb are:
- Anti-inflammatory Herb:
The scientist treated human cells with different components of ginseng and
found out that ginsenosides inhibits expression of the inflammatory gene CXCL – 10.
Panax ginseng reduces the symptoms of autoimmune encephalomyelitis and decreases inflammation. In the process it suppresses the pro-inflammatory genes like the IFNG, IL17A, and TNF. Ginseng also protects the brain against neuro inflammation. Mitochondrial dysfunction, oxidative stress, and HPA axis are activated with the help of Ginseng. Present-day health concerns have a fair share of orthopaedic problems in it. Osteoarthritis results in stiffness, swelling, and pain erosion of cartilage and bones giving in to erosion of bones. A little relief may be taken from this inflammatory condition due to the presence of ginsenosides, as it reduces the chance of soreness. As a study depicts, “Anti-inflammatory property of RGE leads to the understanding that it may have antiarthritic effect via modulating inflammation. Indeed, accumulating evidence has suggested that ginseng extracts can ameliorate autoimmune arthritis.”
- Ginseng reduces brain inflammation which helps in the diminution of hypertension and anxiety.
- The in vivo and in vitro inhibitory mechanisms help to get relief from Osteoarthritis, Nasal inflammation, Rheumatoid arthritis, Autoimmune arthritis.
As an Antioxidant Herb:
Even though the human body produces free radicals and antioxidants in a natural way, in today’s life it is extremely difficult for the antioxidant production of the body to be at par with the free radicals and they invariably outnumber the naturally produced antioxidants. Thus, there’s a constant necessity of external antioxidant intake in order to protect the cells from getting damaged. Korean Red Ginseng possesses enhanced pharmacological effects through the process of steaming, which enables numerous chemical changes such as saponin deformation and amino acid changes. The components of Red Ginseng include saponin type ginsenocides and non-saponin type oxidative polysaccharides. The antioxidant properties of ginseng are derived from the high-oxidant radical absorbance capacity (ORAC). Antioxidants decrease the diabetic complications by hindering the oxidative stress through supply of different enzymes and vitamins. These properties help to get over the following complexities:
- Ginseng regulates blood circulation and eliminates toxicity to ensure a healthy body function.
- It helps to eliminate dead cells with the assistance of Vitamin C properties, minerals, and antioxidants like FRG. This helps in skin brightening. It also removes dark circles and puffiness around eyes.
- There are many cardiovascular treatments that may be derived from this herb through the diverse mechanisms which include anti-oxidation and enhanced vasomotor function, reduced platelet adhesion, influenced ion channels, and improved lipid profiles.
- Ginseng lowers blood sugar levels.
- It effectively prevents the accumulation of plaque and free radicals in the brain holding back the onset of Dementia and Alzheimer, thereby saving one from schizophrenia as well.
As an Adaptogenic Herb:
An adaptogen is a substance that can increase the resistance to stress of any kind, whether mental or physical, and can invigorate you in a non-specific way. It can calm your body and mind and at the same time boost the best of its abilities without overworking them. Korean Red Ginseng is mainly known as an adaptogenic herb – as energizer, normaliser, and stress reducer. For centuries Korean Red Ginseng has been used as a general tonic to stimulate a person mentally and physically – as a supplement to the wellbeing of the otherwise regularly stressed out human beings. The reduction in mental and physical fatigue helps in boosting up the overall energy level in the body.
- One of the best things about this herb is its restorative power. Korean Red Ginseng reduces cholesterol and anxiety. By stimulating the brain cells, ginseng reduces the amount of stress and thereby leads to a healthier mental state which in turn creates a higher level of confidence and more of cognitive development.
- Collagen, also helps in toning, elasticising, and diminishing wrinkles on the face and other body parts.
- The adaptogens found within Ginseng have the ability to alter hormonal levels in the body. It slows down the fall in mood, improving emotional balance. Adaptogens also stimulate the brain cells and help in the overall cognitive development.
- The cognition benefits also include development in abstract thought, detailed oriented thought completion, mental arithmetic, attention, concentration, memory operation, capability in adapting to new, unknown, unsought situations.
- Korean Red Ginseng also stimulates the endocrine glands and increases Adrenaline and Noradrenaline, which affect alertness, reaction-time, and physical stamina.
- The proper balancing of hormones gives way to a healthy menstrual cycle for women.
Whatever the modern advanced medicines offer us, has been cultured and found in organic herbs as well. Ginseng is one such nature’s wonders that constantly nourishe the body contributing to the overall wellness and health.